top of page


Residence from Student Information

The following information provides a general overview of Residence from Student Visa policy. Please note that this information does not replace or constitute immigration advice from a licensed immigration adviser.

Office Scene

Click here to contact us today

Residence from Student Policy

Students who come to New Zealand on a Student Visa and complete a New Zealand qualification may, in limited circumstances, be eligible for a Post Study Work Visa under the Skilled Migrant or Residence from Work categories.


People who have earned a New Zealand qualification and obtained skilled employment offers may, in certain circumstances, also be eligible for a Resident Visa.

Be Careful

It is advisable to be cautious when interacting with unlicensed immigration advisers who are selling courses from New Zealand educational institutions. Residence and Work Visa policies can't be discussed by these agents.

  • Before you come to New Zealand. Get advice from a Licensed Immigration Adviser before enrolling in your course if your main reason for coming to New Zealand is to apply for residence after graduation. In most cases, agents selling courses are not licensed immigration advisers.

  • If you are already in New Zealand. Those who aren't familiar with the rules may fall victim to false job offers or be charged large amounts of money for unapproved job offers. It is possible for students to give bad advice due to gossip. NZIHS can provide you with good advice and the truth. 

  • Share this knowledge. It would be helpful if you could share this knowledge with someone you know who would benefit from it. Misleading overseas students often leads to tragic consequences. It's all about fun and success during your youth and student years, not failure and fear.

What To Be Aware Of

It is true what is stated above. It is important to note that they contain the words "can", "may" and "in certain/limited circumstances", which mean that they are not necessarily true in every situation. The statements are true in some cases, but not all. The education institutions in New Zealand sell courses overseas through agents who have experience dealing with students and who know about the courses they are selling, but these agents are not typically Licensed Immigration Advisers.

The Route To Residence

For international students seeking a pathway to residence, they must first complete a New Zealand qualification. 

A job offer can't just be any job offer. It needs to be skilled employment in order to be considered.

Let us help you navigate the process of eligibility after graduation. We at NZIHS will provide you with honest and unbiased advice based on our experience.

bottom of page